How to find forklift driver jobs with Coople
You can find flexible, rewarding forklift driver jobs when you work with Coople. As part of Coople’s professional workforce, you will have the opportunity to learn new skills and perform various tasks such as operating a forklift, loading and unloading goods safely, receiving and processing shipments and inspecting machinery.
We work with Cooplers of all skill levels – no matter your industry background, we strive to connect you to rewarding work to help you reach your goals. We also provide opportunities across many job profiles at different skill, experience, and salary levels.
What you can expect when you work as a forklift operator with Coople:
- Utilising a Pivot Steer/Bendi/Flexi’ Fork Lift Truck (FLT) to assist with the movement of heavy goods and stock
- Sorting, maintaining and dispatching goods
- Picking, wrapping and staging orders to be shipped
- Inspecting and performing maintenance of forklifts and other material handling equipment
- Working carefully to ensure a safe work environment by adhering to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards
- Using a forklift to transport goods and safely move cargo to and from shipping vessels
- Identifying and reporting any deviation from quality standards to quality assurance supervisors
- Accurately stocking and organising heavy inventory
Which skills do we look for in our forklift drivers?
Hiring companies may ask for specific qualifications and certification. For example, the job description may specifically call out qualifications from:
- AITT Association of Industrial Truck Trainers
- NPORS National Plant Operators Registration Scheme
- RTITB Road Transport Industry Training Board
- ITSSAR Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register
- NORS National Operator Registration Scheme
As the role requires working with heavy machinery, particular skills may be required. If specific experience is required, it will be stated clearly in the job description when you apply. For example, hiring companies may ask for:
- 6+ months experience operating powered forklifts
- Strong understanding of health & safety regulations
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, unassisted
Education, training and certification.
In most cases, forklift drivers roles are an entry level position and higher level education is not required. If you do not have a high school diploma or GED but would like to increase your chances of success when applying for roles, it may be a good idea to consider getting your GED from community college or online.
Forklifts are specialist heavy machinery which require training in order to be operated safely and effectively. A forklift driver is not legally permitted to operate a forklift without supervision until training has been completed and evaluated.
Certifications can help you stand out from a crowd of applicants. Various certifications can be obtained via online courses, but keep in mind that certified operators are still required to complete hands-on training before being cleared to operate heavy machinery.
Online certifications include:
- Sit down forklifts: This type of forklift is the most common and is primarily used in warehouses, hazardous waste clean-up sites and construction sites
- Stand up forklift: These forklifts are more compact and easier to operate than sit down forklifts
- Aerial lift/Scissor lifts: These lifts require specialised training due to their ability to reach up to 40 feet, which increases safety risk
How to prepare for your role as a forklift driver.
There’s a variety of things to look out for before you start your shift as a forklift driver.
This could include:
- Specific uniform requirements and whether or not uniform and safety gear will be provided
- Descriptions of heavy machinery and equipment you may be using
- Potential exposure to harmful substances (see job description, e.g. cleaning chemicals)
- Preparation for warehouse temperatures, if the warehouse is particularly cold or hot (e.g. if food is processed there)
More importantly, when you are adequately prepared for your role, you can build your platform reputation and find more work to support you on your way to your goals.
Ready to find forklift driver jobs?
Download the Coople Job App to discover forklift driver jobs that work for you.